Expense Sorted: version 1 available
This is still a prototype, but should do the basics.
You think you have built something truly unique until you show it to the first potential user.
Often, reality hits and you realise that the usability is crap and that you haven’t documented stuff well enough for someone new to the app to use it.
Well, this is what my wife did. It’s our joint expenses and she has gone through our old process a few times - naturally, she's a good fit for trying out the new tool.
Guess what, she didn’t find it very intuitive.
Here is what I changed.
The prototype evolving
I’ve improved the documentation to make it clear, what one needs to go through to use the tool.
While the whole tool ideally should still be used with the Fuck You Money sheet, I have beefed up the configuration. This means you can tweak how the sheet looks like.
Same for the categorisation part:
Generally, I’ve also improved the status updates and error handling for users to improve usability.
Beginning of September I used the new tool to do our monthly expenses and it worked quite well.
Head to https://www.expensesorted.com/demo if you want to try it out.
Not much really. It works fine for me. I’ve already gone above and beyond what I need just for myself.
From here I’ll go on and promote it a little bit, and see if I can get feedback from some users.
If anyone is interested in using it, I might go on and update it - would love to hear what you think!
For now, I’ve also paused the whole Google Sheet add-on thing as the current flow via the web app is a lot easier to maintain for me.